A few days ago a pack of tofu sat in my fridge, looking at me as if challenging me – are you going to throw me in a stir-fry again? Where I’ll be lost in the middle of all the vegetables. Why don’t you use me in a dish where I’ll shine?
Why don’t I use the tofu in a dish where it’ll shine? I can do that, think of a new recipe. And, I also had to take up the #KitchenBattles challenge passed on to me by Kalyan Karmakar. I had to turn around a monotonous ingredient and make it interesting using ADF’s Soul range of products. Working with tofu was a good idea. So, I thought of making a Tofu Burger using the Soul Tamarind Pulp and Soul Chilli Pickle.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cooking and Assembling: 15 mins
Servings: Makes two burgers
Tofu – 200 gms
Burger buns – 2
Bread crumbs – 1 cup
Arugula leaves or lettuce – 100 gms
Julienned bell peppers (yellow and red) – 1 cup
Onion – 1 (cut in rings)
Mayonnaise – 1 cup
Soul Chilli Pickle – 1 tbsp
Lime juice – 1 tsp
Sea salt – 1/2 tsp
Olive oil – 1 tsp for caramelizing onions and 2 tbsp to fry tofu
Soul Tamarind Pulp – 2 tbsp
Brown sugar – 1 tbsp
Chopped ginger – 1 tsp
Cumin powder – 1 tsp
Paprika or chilli flakes – As per taste
Olive oil – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Water – 1 cup
- Heat oil in a pan and saute the chopped ginger.
- Add tamarind pulp and caramelized sugar and let it cook till the sugar melts.
- Add salt, cumin powder and paprika/chilli flakes.
- Add water to give it sauce like consistency.
- Let it boil once and keep aside.
- Let’s start with caramelizing the onions. Heat oil in a pan and cook onion rings on slow flame till they turn brown. Keep aside.
- Mix mayonnaise and chilli pickle and keep aside.
- Cut tofu into two big chunks, coat it nicely with tamarind sauce, press it on breadcrumbs from all the sides and shallow fry in a pan.
- Lightly toast the burger buns, spread some chilli pickle mayo over them, layer with arugula/lettuce leaves, julienned pepper, fried tofu, caramelized onions. Spoon the remaining tamarind sauce over it and cover it with the other half of the bun.
- Make a salad with the remaining arugula/lettuce, peppers and red cabbage. Dress it in lime juice and sea salt and serve with your burgers.
So now, thanks to the ADF products I have a better use of tofu in my kitchen.
P.S. – you can make the sauce more interesting by adding fried bacon bits to it. Used smoked bacon to give it a nice smokey flavour. If you don’t eat meat, add a tsp of Worcestirshire sauce and 2 tsps of mustard to lift the flavour of the sauce.