Do you know how I love making bread rolls, aloo tikkis and chhole bhature on Sundays? Deep fried Indian snacks are my guilty pleasures hence I try adding healthy ingredients in my recipes. The lowers the guilt factor to a certain extent. I stuff bread samosas with seasonal vegetables or make aloo tikkis stuffed with peas. In one of the issues of BBC’s Good Food India, I saw this recipe of beetroot or chukandar chops. I liked the idea and thought of trying it. The original recipe is sourced from the magazine to which I added some dry mint powder and mixed roasted seeds. I’ve recently grown fond of seeds (flaxseed, melon seeds, pumpkin seeds, cucumber seeds) and try consuming them on a daily basis. While I like to eat them plain, straight from the bottle, the husband throws a fit. So I sneak them in tikkis, salads etc (please don’t tell him). In this recipe I used the roasted mixed seeds from Godrej Nature’s Basket’s Healthy Alternatives section
Potatoes (boiled, peeled and mashed) – 3 medium sized
Bread slices (I used brown bread) – 3 slices
Dry mango powder (amchoor powder) – 1 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Green coriander (chopped) – 1 tbsp
Green chillis (chopped) – 2
Salt to taste
Cornflour – 2 tbsp
Water – 1/2 cup
Oil – 2 tbsp
Beetroot (peeled and grated) – 2 medium
Carrot (grated) – 1 medium
Dry pudina powder – 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Ginger (chopped) – 1 tsp
Raisins – 1 tbsp
Roasted peanuts (crushed) – 2 tbsp
Mixed roasted seeds (flax-seeds, melon seeds, pumpkin seeds, cucumber seeds) – 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Oil – 1 tsp
- Mix all the ingredients of the patty together and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. When they splutter add ginger and saute for a minute.
- Throw in beetroot, carrot and rest of the ingredients and saute for 4-5 minutes. Let it cool.
- Divide potato mixture in 6 equal parts. Flatten each one on your palm, keep a little filling in the centre, close it and roll them into flat patties.
- Mix cornflour in water to make a paste.
- Heat little oil in a nonstick pan, dip each patty in the cornflour paste and place it on the pan.
- Fry till they turn golden on both sides.
- Serve with green mint chutney and sliced onions.