I love Nigella Lawson and practically everything that she cooks. Of her all the recipes that I’ve tried, this is the one which I’ve tried mastering. The first time I made it turned out brilliant, second time wasn’t so good cause I used desi oranges. This time i went with one of those imported looking oranges, not sure what are they called. Their rind is just bitter enough to give this cake a perfect flavour. I’ve added just 2 tbsp of Nutella but you can add more or less as per your taste but this ratio will give a perfect bitter-sweet taste which is divine.
Oranges – 2 medium
Eggs – 6
Cocoa powder – 50 gms
Castor sugar – 200 gms
Baking powder – 11/2 tsp
Dark chocolate – 2 tbsp (chopped) I used the Royce chocolate bar that I just bought 😀
- Place oranges in cold water in a pan and boil them for 2 hours or till they become soft.
- Cut them from the centre and remove the pips if any.
- Throw the oranges in the food processor (with the skin) and pulp everything together.
- Preheat oven tp 180 degree Celcius.
- Add eggs, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and the chopped dark chocolate to the orange pulp and run the motor till everything is mixed properly. You’ll get a slightly runny batter, don’t worry this is how it should look.
- Grease the cake tin and pour the batter in.
- Bake for an hour. The tester will come out clean by this time.
- Let it cool for a while.
- Dust it with sugar, add frosting, decorate it with orange rind or just eat this rich dark goodness plain.
This is when it just came out of the oven. The husband thinks I am promoting Nutella a little too much : / so the next picture is without it.